Friday, October 22, 2010

'We're All in this Together'

It's 8 in the morning. I'm never up this early unless I have a reason to be up. So why the fuck am I up?

You know those days when you just have to go the bathroom so fuckin' badly? I'm having one of those days. Those days when your father, who sleeps upstairs, could and should be using the upstairs bathroom, but decides to spend hours in the downstairs bathroom...when I really need to go!!!

I was trying to hold it in as much as I could but it wasn't one of those days where it could be held back...I had to let go. So, I rushed upstairs, and seriously, my mother and youngest sister thought there was an intruder. They know when my father is going up the stairs...but they've forgotten how my footsteps sound because I rarely go.

But anyways, I did my thing. And now I'm good. And no this post isn't about my 15 minutes in the bathroom. I needed an introduction. Don't roll your eyes, it's early.

Thursday, October 21st, I attended Karaoke Night at Brooklyn College organized by the BA/MD Club. I know how to sing, a fact that most of my friends do not know about me. But I never sing alone.

My mother's side is very much talented in singing/theater/drawing, basically the arts as a whole. And I guess my sister and I acquired some of those talents. We both grew up singing in house parties and shit, nothing big because my father was strict. He didn't want us to sing around places and think that we'd be singers in the future. We didn't take classes or get any professional training. We'd memorize songs our own way and sing. Hindi and Bangla songs. In recent years, we'd even harmonize and put in different voice effects (without the machinery).

Sabia (Kumkum), my partner (sister), definitely has the more dominant voice and she really knows how to sing. Like a singer. She is also the artist...as well as the actress. And she is good at all of these!

So, I went to karaoke night for fun as all my smarty-pant friends who are in BA/MD were going to be there. When Jefferson Lounge was filled to capacity, all I could really see were Brown people. There might've been two White people. I knew I had to make a tribute and sing a Hindi song. And so I did. All alone. Nervous as hell. Spontaneous. Spontaneous behavior makes life so much more exciting. The spotlight was on me and I sang my heart out. Ruqayyah, Chopra, Jasmine, and Ayesha were my background dancers.

For those who are wondering, I sang "Zara, zara" from the movie Rehna Hai Tere Dil Mein. This is my ultimate favorite song, my comfort song.

I also participated in group-singing. We sang "We're All in this Together" from High School Musical. No, this was not my idea. This was Ruqayyah's idea. Who also thought she was Nicki Minaj and was rapping like no other. Good times.

Nicki Minaj.
http://www.thequickhour.com/word/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/nicki-minaj21.jpg
Ruqayyah Batts.
Don't Kill Me.

Literally, twins.

So, why am I writing this at 8 in the morning? I don't know, to be honest. But there's a take-home message. If you have a talent, don't hide it. If you want to do something spontaneous, even if it's not spontaneous to someone else, do it.

Yeah, I thought I was going to end this with a Nicki Minaj rap or quote. I can't seem to find one that I understand.

So, I'll end with Frou-Frou, "So let go, jump in, whatcha waiting for? It's alright, 'cause there's beauty in the breakdown."

1 comment:

  1. I loved the intro, poor you! And I wanna hear you sing sometimes =)

    ReplyDelete